• The .es domain accounts for approximately 50% of the domain names market in Spain. It has overtaken the generic .com domain since 2007.
  • In the last 12 months, .es domains have experienced growth of 17%, with more than 1,000 new domains registered each day. This has represented an increase of more than 260,000 .es domain names in 2011.
  • The .es domain is the Spanish language benchmark at an international level, enabling web pages containing information in Spanish to transmit their identity and proximity.

Madrid 27/03/2012. The number of registered .es domains, Internet domain names assigned under the country code for Spain and managed by the Ministry of Industry, Energy and Tourism through the public corporate entity red.es, has now passed the million and a half mark.
In the last 12 months, .es domains have experienced growth of 17%, with more than a thousand new .es domains registered each day. Today the .es domain is among the top twenty domain registers in the world in terms of the number of domains registered.
Of the million and a half registered .es domains, 57% belong to individuals, and the remaining 43% to legal entities. Legal entity owners of .es domains include public limited corporations, private limited companies, cooperatives, associations, communities, organisations, etc.
Since 2007 .es domains have consolidated their position as a benchmark domain in Spain and have overtaken the general .com domain. The .es domain offers two distinctive features that set it apart from websites under the .com domain: proximity and identity.
Internet services provided under the .es domain are identified with Spain, with the Spanish language and Hispanic culture, which favours the identity of these services.
At Red.es we are celebrating the figure reached today with the confidence that our indicator will continue to go from strength to strength. We are leaving behind the million .es domain name figure reached at the end of 2008 and ahead of us is the opportunity to continue growing, in collaboration with our Accredited Registrars.
Evolution of .es domains
Since the .es domain was created back in 1988, the number of .es registered domains has grown exponentially. Over the last twenty years, more than 1,500,000 domains have been registered, thereby consolidating the .es domain’s position in relation to other top-level domains used in Spain, including the .com domain.
However, the real .es boom occurred in 2005. That was the year that a new National Plan for .es Domain Names was approved, which meant that any citizen could register any .es domain name they wanted instantly and at a significantly reduced cost. Thanks to these measures the number of .es registered domains rose from 298,600 (in 2005) to the current figure of more than one and a half million. The 1 million mark was reached on 11 July 2008, with the millionth domain going to the CNSE Foundation for the Removal of Barriers to Communication.
Another significant landmark in the history of the .es domain was 2007. In that year, the Government approved the inclusion in domain names of all the characters used in the official languages of Spain. This meant that letters such as the ñ, the cedilla, the double-l or the use of tildes or diaeresis started to feature in the urls of .es pages.
In a world in which there are more than 400 million Spanish-speakers, the .es domain is the point of reference for the Spanish language on an international level, and it enables websites that contain information in Spanish to transmit their identity and proximity through the .es country code.